The BWA Center is a vibrant, exciting place to learn. We provide academic programs, skills training, and support services to help people succeed.
My Media 101 – Every Wednesday from 11:30 AM – 2:30 PM
Starting Wednesday April 8th, 2015 – 140 Winthrop Street, Roxbury, MA
Sign Up For A Class
- Adults who want to better train themselves for the workplace
- Young adults who want to complete their high school education
- Children who need safe, nurturing child care and after school programs
Overview of the Program
The Boston Workers Alliance tutorial program offers adults free, confidential, one-on-one instruction in basic reading and literacy, communication skills for English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) students, and preparation for the HiSET (formerly GED) exam.
Who We Serve
All individuals age 18 and older from the Boston area who are looking for assistance in one subject area are eligible.
- Tutors and students generally meet 2 – 4 hours per week
- Students are required to attend lessons regularly and complete assignments
- Registration is ongoing beginning in September
Volunteer tutors receive training and ongoing support as they work in partnership with their students to reach individual educational goals. Friendships often develop as students and tutors learn from each other.
How To Enroll
All students and tutors must be interviewed by the Coordinator. To schedule an appointment call Albie, 617-606-3580, or email him at [email protected]
The program is FREE to everyone.
- Basic Skills & HiSET (GED) Prep
- HiSET (GED) Testing
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Computer Technology
- Get Ready for College
- Community Education
- Adult Learner Services
What We Offer
Become a Tutor
- No previous teaching experience is necessary
- Training and materials and ongoing support are provided by the Coordinator
- You may tutor 2 – 4 hours per week (flexible schedule)
- Tutoring sessions are scheduled at mutually convenient times and location
- Tutoring is a rewarding experience that helps adult learners achieve their personal goals
Get A Tutor
Tutoring is free, and an opportunity to accomplish your goals in:
- HiSET/GED preparation
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) communication skills